Staying in ketosis doesn’t have to be difficult as long as you take two things into account – taste and preparation.
Two of the most common reasons for falling off of the keto diet have a lot to do with overwhelming cravings and the lack of resources or know-how to keep keto bellies full and happy.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of some healthy, tasty, and satiating grab-and-go and homemade snacks you can enjoy guilt-free on the keto diet. The best thing? These snacks are designed to conquer those pesky carb and sugar cravings without kicking you out of ketosis.
1. Cherry Tomatoes – these are fairly low-carb themselves and make a great low-carb medley when put with mozzarella and basil.
2. Avocados – thick slices of Avocados with some salt and pepper are great for getting healthy saturated fats.
3. Chia seeds and yoghurt – pick a particularly high fat yogurt and soak chia seeds to add bulk. Ensure you choose a yogurt with no added sugars.
4. Beef Jerky – an American classic, perfect for getting a salty protein hit. Look at the ingredients carefully and avoid those with added sugars.
5. Nuts – we couldn’t make this list without one of the healthiest sources of saturated fats. (Check out: Nuts And Seeds On Keto: The Pros & Cons)
6. Eggs – hard boil these and keep in the fridge for a really filling snack at home or on the go.
7. Homemade Popsicles –the best way to enjoy this refreshing snack is by making them yourself. All you need is a popsicle mold and your favorite online recipe.
8. Flaxseed crackers – find a flaxseed cracker recipe online. This snack is packed with dietary fiber and zero net carbs. (See our Crunch Flaxseed Crackers Keto Recipe here!)
9. Sardines – this protein power pack is good to go straight out of the packet.
10. Seaweed – ready-made seaweed snacks are commonplace in grocery stores now and great for when you’re in the mood to graze.
11. Seeds – flax seeds and chia are especially high in omega-3 and can be added to liquid for a satiating snack.
12. Pork rinds – at roughly 30% fat content, you’ll stay in ketosis easily with these low-carb treats.
13. Keto Buffalo Chicken Tenders – simply dip in egg and almond flour, add low carb spices and bake for an easy restaurant-style treat.
14. String Cheese – perfect for on-the-go lifestyles, check the ingredients for extra fillers and go for full-fat versions.
15. Iced Coffee – black coffee blended with heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, ice cubes and MCT oil is the perfect creamy indulgence.
16. Kale Chips – roast them yourself in lashings of oil and sea salt or buy from the supermarket but check the ingredients for high-carb additives, such as flavorings.
17. Veggie Sticks – sometimes you just can’t beat some chopped carrot or celery.
18. Hot Drinks – amp up your coffees and hot chocolates with coconut oil and butter for a super creamy finish.
19. Spinach Chips – similar to kale chips, just toss some coconut or olive oil-coated spinach on a baking tray, season it with some salt, paprika, ground cumin, or other seasoning, and bake for flavorful and healthy chips.
20. Nut Butters – almond, peanut and macadamia nut butters are particularly good. Be careful to avoid nuts that are higher in carbs.
21. Sugar-Free Jello – guilt-free sugary goodness for times of indulgence. But remember, this contains no nutritional content and is usually processed, so save this snack for special occasions.
22. Bacon – wrap around stalks of baked asparagus or broccoli or just go hard with bacon on its own!
23. Cheesy Meatballs – just place a small bit of cheese in ground meat and herbs and bake in plenty of coconut or olive oil.
24. Chocolate Avocado Pudding – cocoa, avocado, stevia and mix for a creamy dessert.
25. Mushrooms – bake in plenty of butter with bacon and cheese.
26. Sunflower Seeds – throw some of these low-carb seeds on a salad and enjoy their wealth of nutrition.
27. Olives – much like pickles, these will help with any salty cravings.
28. Keto Bars – specially made for the keto diet, these are a much better alternative to Quest or other protein bars on the market.
29. Cauliflower Crust Pizza – blend cauliflower, cheese and egg whites then bake with toppings and cut into ready-to-snack slices.
30. Cold Cuts – champagne ham and pepperoni slices are great snacks you can just grab from the fridge.
31. Devilled Eggs – a little more work than straight hard-boiled but truly tasty once you’ve put in the effort.
32. Keto Fries – try a low-carb potato substitute such as celeriac, and fry in plenty of oil.
33. Berry Ice-Cream – blueberries and full-fat cream is a heavenly combo.
34. Salad – mix together a quick green salad with seeds and cherry tomatoes.
35. Bone Broth – healthy comfort food with plenty of anti-inflammatory properties.
36. Lettuce Wraps – add anything high fat, like cheese or meat with mayonnaise for a quick and filling snack.
37. Keto Pate – best made at home with straight meat or fish and cream cheese.
38. Bacon spinach cheese dip – need we say more.
39. Chicken drumsticks and wings – add low-carb seasonings and bake!
40. Kebabs – mix up cold cuts, cheeses and olives for an easy platter to take to parties.
41. Greek Yoghurt – rich, creamy, high fat and low-carb, it’s the perfect snack for staying in ketosis.
43. Cucumber Tuna Boat – find a mayonnaise that has no added sugar and mix into the tuna before placing into long pieces of cucumber.
44. Sausages and Onions – chopped sausages fried with onions are a really filling snack, especially if you’re not sure what time your next meal will be.
45. Soft Cheeses like Brie or Camembert – Who says cheese has to be on a cracker? These soft cheeses are perfect as a wedge by themselves.
46. Berries – fairly low in fructose, berries make a good sweet snack. The most keto-friendly berries are blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Blueberries are also keto-friendly, but in moderation!
47. Starfruit – this distinct fruit has a tasty sweet and sour flavor and is perfect for when you’re craving a sweet keto friendly treat.
48. Cocoa Nibs – perfect as a handful or mixed in with some Greek yogurt.
49. Egg Salad – mix together cut up eggs, celery, green pepper, some mayo, a little yellow mustard, and some salt, and you have yourself a great high fat, low carb snack.
50. Tuna Salad – similar to egg salad, this is the perfect high-fat, low-carb snack. Try making your own using mayo made from avocado oil.
51. Cauliflower Fritters – just add spices and fry over high heat.
52. Pecans – pecans are a particularly low-carb nut.
53. Salami Sticks – full of tasty fats and easy to eat on the run.
54. Cream cheese – go for the full fat version and “schmear” on just about anything that doesn’t contain carbohydrates.
55. Brazil nuts – Right up there with pecans, brazil nuts are amongst the lowest in carbs, and make for an excellent snack.
56. Celery – Pair some celery stalks with peanut butter or cream cheese for a satiating snack.
57. Stuffed Peppers – ground meat and cheese are the perfect mixture for these.
58. Cottage Cheese – like cream cheese, it’s important to pick the full fat version.
59. Keto Pancakes – there are plenty of keto-friendly pancake recipes online which make use of coconut or almond flour.
60. Egg and avocado – simply fry an egg in place of an avocado stone, salt, pepper and enjoy.
61. Fathead Pizza Dough – a keto-friendly alternative to regular dough.
62. Keto Cheese Chips – make your own keto cheese chips in under 15 minutes using ground flax meal, cheddar cheese, and a seasoning of your choice, like chipotle, cumin, or smoked paprika for a satisfying snack.
63. Jalapeno poppers – jalapenos and cheese are the only ingredients you need here!
64. Trail Mix – high fat nuts, a little dark chocolate and salt.
65. Avocado Fries – a little almond flour on avocado.
66. Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls – the name says it all.
67. Cold Meat Wraps – Luncheon or ham with cheese and a tiny bit of apple.
68. Pumpkin Bites – seeds, a little bit of pumpkin baked with cocoa nibs.
69. Moon cheese – this Cheeto-like snack is delicious and made with 100% cheese.
71. Maple & Pecan Fudge Fat Bomb – these homemade, high-fat treats are definitely worth trying. They’re filling, have a nice flavor profile, and contain plenty of healthy fats without the overabundance of proteins often found in protein bars.
72. Almond milk protein shake – ensure that all of your ingredients are low-carb, blend and enjoy.
73. Keto Chicken Tenders – instead of breading, keto chicken tender recipes call for the use of parmiasan and pork rinds. You can also wrap them in bacon for a boost of fats and flavor.
74. Avocado Devilled eggs – a high fat take on the traditional devilled egg.
75. Guacamole – the perfect dip for your cheese chips.
If you’re buying snacks instead of making them at home, be sure to always read labels and closely monitor the nutrition content. It’s also very important that you know how to read a nutrition label in order to ensure you don’t get kick out of ketosis!
More often than not, healthy snacks can be misleading and sneak in hidden carbs, added sugar, and other suspect fillers.
Expand your keto snack arsenal while knowing exactly what’s going into your food by experimenting with different recipes online and making your own healthy and filling keto treats at home.
Whether you buy them at a grocery store or cook them up yourself, always keep keto friendly snacks readily available so that next time you get hit with a craving, you’re already prepared!